There are many different video conferencing tools available. Praatbox.be is a free, user-friendly tool - both for counsellors and clients. You can also use it to safely conduct sessions with clients by following this manual.
- If everything works as it should, you should now see each other. Check the frequently asked questions if this is not the case.
- Attention: if you want a third person to join the session, then the security level will not be as high as described above.
At the start of the session:
- Inform your client that the session may not be recorded or streamed and is between the counsellor and the client only.
- The counsellor must also promise that the session will not be recorded (The counsellor will take notes on paper or their laptop, just like during an ordinary session).
Points of attention during the session: the counsellor can see:
- whether the session is being recorded (an orange circle with the word REC in white appears at the top right).
- or live streamed (blue circle with the word LIVE in white appears at the top right)
- or if someone wants to join the session (additional screen pops up).
In the event that this occurs, inform your client that the conditions for a confidential session were not fulfilled and stop the session immediately.
If a third person joins the session, you can remove them from the session.
You can do this by clicking on the three dots in the top right corner of the unwanted person’s screen and then clicking "Kick out"
- At the end of the conversation, press the red phone button in the centre of your screen. We recommend that you do not reuse the three words that you chose to set up the chatroom or the password.
For your information:
Sessions are only end-to-end and peer-to-peer secured when there are only two participants. In that case, the content is not routed through the server but flows directly between the two conversation partners. The server is only used to set up the secure connection.
When three or more people participate in the session, the data are routed through the main server and the session is no longer end-to-end and peer-to-peer secured.
Here you will find general information about praatbox.be and frequently asked questions.
Do read the FAQs. They explain how to solve a few simple technical issues if you experience difficulties when trying to contact the client.
- Tip: test it yourself first with a colleague!